Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mothers' Day

Here is my baby. Calvin. Calvin Thomas. Cal. I love him.
He's 3 weeks old today.
Yesterday was Mothers' Day and we "facetimed" with both the grandmas. We went to church and spent the whole sermon nursing and diaper filling/diaper changing in a back room. Men gave me roses. Women gave me gifts and doted on my angel. We went to Trader Joe's and I was given more flowers by a cashier. We watched Vampire Diaries with Mindy since we'd put it off this week. Tom gave me earrings - green pearls. He went out on Saturday to find the little felted animal I'd asked for when I was in labor. He didn't find it but came back with A Wrinkle In Time and The Magician's Nephew and more cloth diapers and wipes.

Calvin is growing like crazy. We have our second pediatrician appointment today and will find out just how big he is. Last time he was over nine pounds and off-the-charts for height. I've been packing away newborn clothes - especially socks. I put a newborn diaper on him last week and it literally popped off before I got both sides buttoned.
My milk production is slowing down, thankfully. We're getting in sync. I've unfortunately been spoiled by wonderfully long sleeping patterns from him at night, so now when he has a fussy night I'm beside myself. "What?! I have to get up?! Now?!" Poor baby. I've begun carrying him in the carriers. I can't get much done with him strapped to my front. I have to make sure his head is being supported and that he's breathing easily. But it does keep him happy. He may be getting spoiled... We have "Binky Day!" marked on the calendar because he loves to suck and hasn't quite figured out the thumb thing. Plus he loves to be swaddled at night: no thumbs. He also likes a light on at night, which I was told I'm not supposed to do. It's better for his eyes to be in darkness, I heard, but he cries and cries with nothing to look at. Nothing to gaze at while he makes a little pursed mouth face that I love. If he is spoiled, that's OK. I've been waiting so long for him, what does anyone expect?

Life is beautiful.

No comments: