Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yee-haw

I swear I accidentally said, "yee-haw", eight hundred times today. We went for a scenic country drive today with the clients in one of our well-loved wheelchair-lift buses and some of those turns, dips and potholes just snuck up on us. I suggested we do a three-part harmony of, Everybody Hurts, but no one agreed. That was not the only great song to grace the radio waves today and for the most part Brooke B. was on board for random duets, but those were in the vein of Bonnie Raitt's Something To Talk About. Brooke is a self-proclaimed "red-neck" and calls me "flowerchild". The yee-haws, however, were solely mine, and the biggest one of all is this...

Tom and I signed a bunch of papers last night to finalize our offer and the sale is pending! We just have to do a million things (or so it seems) and pay for this and that and then, God-willing, that sucker's ours! Yes, we are poor. Yes, we needed my dad to do any of this and will be forever indebted to him, but, what else is new? We are so in love with this place and so, so fortunate to have the means (however untenable they feel) to go after it.

The other day when I was saying, "thank you" to my Dad for helping us so much he said, "You can thank God for that." And every time I tell anyone that I cry. I haven't let God give me much of anything lately but he still blesses those who desire to bless me, and I am reminded of when I was a kid and I used to sulk forever over some small hurt while those around me had fun and laughed and carried on in spite of me and I would feel left out and lonely and ultimately foolish for getting myself into that fix. When I got older I decided not to live that way anymore, and realized that no one holds it against you if you release your grudge and just come waltzing back into community with a smile on your face. But it is amazing how sinful habit persists despite all our revelations and gained wisdom. It lies just to one side of the narrow path, just a step away; so accessible and so treacherous.

It's funny that this is my big first-home-reveal post (oh me!) but it's reflective of the truth: charming and simple work life; muddled and emotional personal life; and OH MY GOSH we're getting a house!!! Yep, that just about sums it up. Don't worry about us. I will not say all is well, because that isn't quite right, but "all is well" wasn't getting us very far anyway.
I should add that as I finished that last sentence my phone rang and my little sister, Amelia, after confirming with me whether or not Lucrezia Borgia was a real person, told me that she and Jesse were selflessly jumping for joy when they heard we were buying a house, and added many other wonderful things that left me tearful and humbled. I'm sure there will be much humbling in my future as we set off into the world of home-ownership and strive to make ends meet. And while I can't honestly say I look forward to so much mortification and desperation I am wary of a future without it. Maybe this is a fault of mine. Well-spent time with tell.

Good night. 

2 comments:

Lish said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you!! This is such a wonderful, positive thing and I couldn't be more thrilled!! Congratulations! I keep telling myself things will work themselves out and I feel like they must even when over and over again, things decide not to. Either I'm being positive or I'm being naive...haha love you!

Job 77 said...

Congratulations! It looks so cute!