Sunday, February 5, 2012

Life Begins

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
I read this this morning and though it's not the most original or eloquent phrase I've ever come across it is striking a cord in me as I prepare to buy a house (and pay for it), become involved in a new church, and try to become more Godly. That last one really takes a person out of their comfort zone.
If I had to describe my life in one word it might be "comfort", and that isn't what I want it to be. Assured? Yes. Secure?... Maybe. Comfortable? Please, no. The deepest, truest part of me does not want this. But the rest of me is full of fear, of the smallest and most ridiculous things much more often then the big, really threatening things.
There is only one source of real courage and tap it so infrequently. I let myself wallow in all kinds of fear and other shallowness and I blame my habits and attitudes on the world around me. I chalk it all up to an inevitability in "these days". I lie. I hide. I get online instead of opening my Bible. I seek help where there is little or none to be got. I seek life where it is barren and wasted. I don't seek joy.
I make the mistake of valuing my comfort zone and thinking of it as harmless and somehow good.
I wait in vain for life to begin.

1 comment:

Lish said...

Awww D, you are not alone. I feel that way all the time and it is so frightening and difficult to get out of your everyday habits and comfort zones. Just know that I'm always here for you...just a phone call away. I would love to catch up with you sometime soon. I miss you!